Developed in Europe in the 1930′s by Dr. Emil and Estrid Vodder, Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) is a safe, effective, yet gentle approach to cleansing the body’s tissues. MLD drains excess fluid from the tissues and also has a detoxifying effect. It can benefit a healthy person as well as help more than 60 different conditions. When necessary, Combined Decongestive Therapy is included in the treatment.
MLD in Brief
- MLD removes metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria, large protein molecules and foreign substances from the tissues.
- MLD, through its gentle, rhythmical, and precise hand movements, alleviates pain by greatly reducing the pain signals sent to the brain.
- MLD relaxes the sympathetic nervous system, thus helping to relieve stress.
- MLD supports and enhances the action of the immune system as a whole.
- MLD helps the body to heal more quickly from injuries, surgical trauma, chronic conditions, and edema.
- MLD helps minimize the severity of scars.
Like Pearls Knotted On A String
Strung along the lymph vessels like pearls knotted on a string, the lymph nodes serve as a series of cleaning filters. Lymphatic fluid percolates through the nodes, continually being purified.
The Lymph System
The lymphatic vessel system must drain the interstitial fluid of all the substances that are not reabsorbed by the blood capillaries. This includes plasma, proteins, bacteria, long chain fats, dusts, dyes, and dead cells.
If proper drainage does not occur, cells are exposed to an undernourished and toxic environment. Disease can be the result.
Learn more about the Lymph Vessel System at the Dr. Vodder School International website.
Some Indications for MLD
- Post-Mastectomy Edema
- Post-Hysterectomy Edema
- Varicose Veins
- Post-Surgical Swelling
- Pre-Surgery Preparation
- Post-Surgery Recovery
- Post-Vein Stripping
Ear, Nose & Throat
- Hay Fever
- Meniere’s Disease
- Leg Ulcers
- Sprains and Strains
- Muscle/Ligament Tears
- Fractures & Dislocations
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Neck Pain
- Chronic Pain
- Tension Headaches
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Stress Reduction
- Chronic Fatigue
- Toxic Poisoning
Our MLD/CDT therapist trained at the Dr. Vodder Schule in Walchsee, Austria, and maintains her international certification by re-certifying every two years. She is dedicated to providing the European Gold Standard of care to her patients in East Tennessee.
Feel free to contact us with any questions.